Schumacher-Maag was truly a family owned and run business for well over five decades. Founded in 1954 by Amos Maag and Raymond Schumacher, the dealership was originally an International Harvester dealership. Amos was a silent partner, while Raymond and his wife Joan managed and ran the store. Joan did all of the bookkeeping and helped at the parts counter as needed, while Raymond managed the store. Raymond’s brother Clet worked in the parts department, as well as other family members.
When Raymond died in 1980, Joan was left with the business and Clet took over as the store manager. The store became a Case IH dealer that same year. Joan in-turn passed the business on to their four daughters, Paula, Patricia, Nancy and Brenda. After she passed away in 1985, the Schumacher sisters inherited the business, managing and running the store together.
Having no interest from any of the sisters’ children wanting to take over and all four sisters having jobs outside of the business, the store became very hard to manage. The sisters decided it was time to sell their parent’s business, and began to look for a buyer in early 2010. They had worked with Archbold Equipment and Daryl Nofziger for various parts and equipment over the years, so they contacted him. Nofziger met with the girls in the summer, and they worked out a deal for Archbold Equipment to buy the store. The paperwork was signed and the deal closed in the fall of 2010.